Monday 23 April 2012

Objects of Sentimental Value - Feedback

Thank you to everyone for your responses to “Objects of sentimental value”. We received a few stories and pictures from contributors that we’d like to share with you. 


Borut bought his mug as a souvenir when he was at a football match of his favourite team FC Inter Milan. Although his team’s current position in the league is not the best, he still brings his mug with him everywhere he goes. That’s a true fan!





Mimi got her mug from her ex-boyfriend when she successfully passed the high-school leaving exam. It is her favourite because it resembles her astrological sign. 




Iris got this mug as a present a few years ago. Needless to say, she’s a huge David Hasselhoff fan. This is how she always starts her day, with a morning dosage of good coffee and her precious David.





Tjaša's favourite mug was a gift from her mother. She brought it from a business trip to the US.  Since then Tjaša drinks her morning tea from it every day and enjoy in her mug's minimalistic style.




Tamara got her favourite teacup as a birthday gift from her best friends.





Špela is a mug collector. She has a drawer full of mugs. This particular mug was a gift from her ex-boyfriend from NY and she uses it only to drink herbal teas. 





Anonymous girl’s boyfriend bought this dog-mug for her after she moved away from her parent’s home because he knew she missed the company of her pets. This mug in the shape of her dog’s breed now reminds her not only of her family and pets, but also of her boyfriend. She brings her “Dino” (as she humorously named her mug) everywhere she goes.



Mugs are not the only objects of sentimental value students bring with them to university.

When I moved to my student apartment, I took a box full of photos and different souvenirs with me. The photos were mostly from my childhood and the souvenirs were different tickets, postcards, just about anything that reminded me of some special moment or event. I still keep that box hidden behind a pile of clothes and whenever I feel sad or lonely, I search through the box and experience those memories all over again.
-Tamara



My personal object was a globe lamp that belonged to my grandma, but unfortunately (and extremely sadly) it fell apart last year, but it was such an important thing for me that I kept it anyway. My grandma died before I was born and I feel like the lamp is a real connection to her, and I love to travel and find out about different parts of the world. I have had it with me since my second year at university (2008) and wouldn't consider throwing it away. It’s very old (hence the breaking) and was made in the 1970s, which means some of the countries on it don't exist anymore! This is one of my most prized possessions and if I could find a way to fix it I would!
-Hannah




I brought many different personal objects to my student home. I decorated my room with photographs of my friends, boyfriend and my dog to make it more personal. I filled my shelves and embellish my walls with gifts I received from my best friends, for example with candlesticks and plaque with explanation of the meaning of my name. When I felt homesick, I looked at these objects and photos what lessen my homesickness and brought out nice memories.
- Anita



These are the books that sit next to my bed. The top on "My Family and Other Animals" is a book that I take everywhere with me.

-Elizabeth



Proof that objects of all kinds can have sentimental value, Iris shares her story:

Two years after I moved in my flat-mate Dani decided to buy a brand new bike. When it arrived she looked at it with love and admiration and tried to convince me that it would be a good idea for the bike to be stored INSIDE our room when she was not using it. I objected because the room was relatively small and putting it in the middle of it meant having almost no place to move around. After keeping the bike in the room for two days I rebelled and told her that her bike should be in front of the building, where all the other bikes were. She reluctantly agreed to put it there but only after she wrote her name (the permanent marker was her best friend) on almost all parts of the bike. She believed that in case the parts got stolen, she could then find whoever did it by checking the other bikes for the parts with her name on them.  It was amazing how proud she was of her cunning plan. The situation got even worse when she bought a car and asked me if I could look out of the window every few minutes to see if it was still there. Writing her name on all the car parts was unfortunately not an option in this case and it made her very sad.


Thank you all for your contributions. We’re looking forward to hearing from you next week when we’re going to explore the dark side of student living.

1 comment: